Position: Summer Camp Instructor
Description: ScienceWorks is looking for dynamic, enthusiastic, energetic and creative individuals to teach our Summer Science Camps. ScienceWorks will be offering 10 weeks of camps from June 17 – August 30 (no camp the week of July 4). Instructors are usually hired to teach one – three sessions of camp. Our mission: To inspire wonder and stimulate creative exploration through fun interactive science experiences.
ScienceWorks Seekers (entering K-1):
If you love to teach younger children, we are looking for educators to teach Seekers Camps. These camps will run for five days and take place in the morning, from 9am – noon. Class size is limited to approximately 15 students. We are looking for educators to submit course proposals for one or two camp sessions. Possible themes include dinosaurs, bugs, animals, plants, art, chemistry, magnetism or any other science related theme. Remember that science is a way of exploring the world around us so, especially for our smallest scientists, most topics have a connection to science.
ScienceWorks Explorers (entering grades 2-5)
Explorers camps offer a full day of themed programming from 9am – noon, and from 1 – 4pm. Camp Instructors are not responsible for camper supervision during the hour long Lunch Bunch. Maximum camp size is about 20 students, and campers may attend half day or full day. Highly engaging camp proposals are sought for camps such as LEGO Robotics, animation/claymation, engineering, dissection, CSI/forensic science, flight, sound/music, engineering/building, motion, chemistry, electricity, or anything else science related. Remember that science is a way of exploring the world around us so most topics have a connection to science.
ScienceWorks Challengers (entering grades 6-12)
New this year, Challengers camps will be debuting with camps about Aviation and 3D printing this summer. These sessions are already planned by ScienceWorks staff for this pilot year, but we may be looking for proposals in years to come. If you have expertise in either Aviation (as a pilot) or 3D printing (or CAD) and you are interested in volunteering your time to help with these camps, please email Summer.
This is a part-time, seasonal, contracted position. The rate of pay is $425 for half day camp, $850 for full day camp. You will be required to submit lesson plans prior to camp.
Qualifications: Bachelors degree in the sciences, art, education or related field preferred. Experience working with children is a must! Successful candidates should have experience developing and implementing fun and engaging hands-on activities. A background check is required. Please note that these are highly competitive positions.
To apply, please submit a course proposal by March 1st. 2014, to:
ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum
1500 E. Main St.
Ashland, OR 97520
541.482.6767 ext. 226
Submitting a Course Proposal
ScienceWorks does not hire instructors for the entire summer, although some instructors do teach multiple sessions. Please submit multiple proposals if you would like to be considered for multiple sessions.
For your course proposal, please include the following information:
* If this is a course you’ve taught before, please let me know when and where you have taught it, a sample plan may not be necessary.
- Dates you are available to teach.
- Which camp age group you are interested in teaching.
- Course Title: Should be catchy and grab the attention of the reader.
- Course Description: Should describe your class in such a way that will entice students to sign up for the camp. Every description should be creative and include specific details about activities that will take place during the camp. Please include as many hands-on and project based activities as possible. 50 words or less please.
- Sample lesson showing programming for a full day of your camp. (3 hrs for K-1; 6 hrs for 2-5)
- Equipment requirements for your camp (access to water, outside, electricity…)
- Resume, references, and contact information, including phone, address and e-mail.