Field Trip Program
2014-2015 Field Trips are offered Tuesday through Friday, from 9:30am to noon, starting Sept 23. Beginning March 30, afternoon sessions will also be available from 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm, as well as Mondays, both morning and afternoon.
Each session can accommodate two classes of up to 35 students (70 total). Please note that large groups of up to 120 students can be accommodated with an altered schedule.
The cost is $5 per student, with a flat rate of $100 for classes under 20 students.
A typical session will include the following components:
Teachers! If you haven't been to ScienceWorks for a while, come preview the museum for free before your field trip. Just show your teacher ID and receive free admission to the entire museum any day we're open to the public. Thanks for being an educator and prepared field trip leader!
- Orientation - A brief meeting is held to go over schedules, procedures and expectations.
- Exploration - Students and chaperons have an opportunity to familiarize themselves with the museum and explore the many exhibits at their own pace.
- Team Investigations - Small groups of students rotate through specific exhibits where they conduct investigations, make observations, formulate questions, collect data, and so forth.
- Discovery Lab - Students get a chance to develop their inquiry skills through laboratory investigations. Typically, half the group is in the Discovery Lab while the other half is conducting the Team Investigations to ensure no more than 35 students in the lab. Not available for groups over 70.
- ScienceLive! - ScienceWorks staff present a highly educational and entertaining demonstration in our theater.
The sign up procedure is a two-step process: finding an open slot on the calendar AND filling out a registration form. Until you receive a confirmation, you are not guaranteed a registration date.
Review the Discovery Lab and ScienceLive Show descriptions below to determine the programs that work best for your students. You will make your selection on the registration form.
Registration will start on August 22nd.