Field Trip Program
School programs are offered Tuesday through Friday for the 2013-2014 school year from 9:30am to noon. Beginning March 4, afternoon sessions will also be available Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm. Mondays may be available in the Spring, subject to availability.
Each session can accommodate two classes of up to 35 students (70 total). Please note that large groups of up to 120 students can be accommodated with an altered schedule.
The cost is $5 per student, with a flat rate of $100 for classes under 20 students.
A typical session will include the following components:
Teachers! If you haven't been to ScienceWorks for a while, come preview the museum for free before your field trip. Just show your teacher ID and receive free admission to the entire museum any day we're open to the public. Thanks for being an educator and prepared field trip leader!
- Orientation - A brief meeting is held to go over schedules, procedures and expectations.
- Exploration - Students and chaperones have an opportunity to familiarize themselves with the museum and explore the many exhibits at their own pace.
- Team Investigations - Small groups of students rotate through specific exhibits where they conduct investigations, make observations, formulate questions, collect data, and so forth.
- Discovery Lab - Students get a chance to develop their inquiry skills through laboratory investigations. Typically, half the group is in the Discovery Lab while the other half is conducting the Team Investigations to ensure no more than 35 students in the lab. Not available for groups over 70.
- ScienceLive! - ScienceWorks staff present a highly educational and entertaining demonstration in our theater.
The sign up procedure is a two-step process: finding an open slot on the calendar AND filling out a registration form. Until you receive a confirmation, you are not guaranteed a registration date.
Review the Discovery Lab and ScienceLive Show descriptions below to determine the programs that work best for your students. You will make your selection on the registration form.
Click here to register your Field Trip.
Discovery Lab Descriptions
||K - 2
||Travel into the past to meet your very own fossil friend. Students find their fossil in the climbing wall to explore the types of fossils animals leave behind, then put their fossils in chronological order.
|Ready, Set, Roll!
||K - 8
||In this wild ride, students will be challenged to apply concepts of energy, force, and motion to design a unique roller coaster. Working in teams, students will follow the engineering design process of brainstorming, planning, building, testing, and evaluating their solutions.
||3 - 5
||Become mix masters in this chemistry-based lab. Students use a variety of acids and bases to explore the world of chemical color changes and try to create environments that could sustain life.
||3 - 8
||Solve a food chain mystery in this lab. Students work in pairs to determine the prey animals in an owl’s food chain by dissecting an owl pellet together.
||3 - 8
||Can you get an egg to spin on its end? Can you get a ball to travel along a line? Get an object spinning without touching it, then use your inquiry skills to take on a series of moving challenges.
|This or That?
||3 - 8
||Students classify fossils and ancient life based on their traits to create a tree of life.
|Work It With Circuits
||3 - 8
||Get your electrical juices flowing in this lab. Can you power up a light or make the buzzer sound? Students use a set of materials to create simple circuits through a series of investigations.
ScienceLive Show Descriptions
||What can hair, liquid nitrogen, and a bowling ball tell us about energy? Find out as we explore different kinds of energy and how it moves and changes in this show all about conservation of energy.
||Combustion is the hottest show you will ever see! This demonstration illustrates the three components needed to make fire, explains the basics of a chemical reaction and communicates the importance of fire safety. The explosive finale is one you will not soon forget!